On Friday, I took my first look at the beehives since installing the bee packages. I needed to check to see if all was well with the two hives and to see if the queens had been released from their queen cages. I was happy to see that both queens were free and hard at work laying eggs in the new honeycomb. 4 or 5 frames showed a fair amount of activity. Because there are not a lot of flowers out yet, I have kept the hive top feeders filled with sugar syrup (2 and 1/2 quarts water and 5 lbs of sugar). So far the two hives have used a total of fifteen pounds of sugar! They will probably need the syrup for another 3 or 4 weeks.
Since I had to do the inspection on my own, I didn’t have Renee around to take any pictures this time. I hope to have some pictures later this week, so stay tuned!
— submitted by Darryl